My Word of the Year

My Word of the Year
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may earn a small percentage of any purchases.

Last year I chose a Word-of-the-Year instead of making a goal or a resolution and I loved it. I’m not sure that I did ‘Surrender’ proud last year, but I do know that I let go of a lot of things and that it did help me to keep that theme in mind.

Choosing a Word-of-the-Year is like picking the title for the next chapter of your life. It’s good stuff. It’s also a nourishing process, it helps you to get your head in the right place and gives you a focal point without the pressure of a goal or resolution. You just do your best to honor that word in your life and there’s no failing.

My Word-of-the-Year is SHINE.

I’m a very shy person, and let me tell you, owning a business where I have to show my personality was a huge struggle in the beginning. I didn’t know how much of me to reveal and I didn’t know how far to push myself outside of my social boundaries. It is still a learning process but I am getting better. After jumping in head first, floundering for awhile, I’m finally getting the hang of it.

I was thinking about what I want from this year and part of it was self-confidence and part of it is implementing all of the wonderful ideas that I have in my head, and the other bit is not being afraid of myself.

I am afraid of my brilliance.

Does that happen to anyone else? There’s the fear of failure on one end and then on the opposite end there’s the fear of being so so big that you just can’t handle it. You just want to dwell in the comfortable middle because it’s… well… comfortable and you know that you can handle it.

That is why I chose the world shine.

It also goes well with my anthem of the year.

“You could be the star, you could shine so bright. You could be your own spotlight.”

How are you going to shine this year? What is your word of the year and what does it mean to you?

I need my lovely loyal readers to take a few minutes to fill out this survey (if you would be so kind) you’ll be entered to win a special prize if you do!

9 Comments

1. Avatar
    Stacy Leibrich
    January 4, 2013 / 2:50 pm

My word for this year is Renovate. I am working on bringing back the best of myself, in body, mind & spirit. Living a word seems so much more graspable than a resolution or even goals. I have found that my words (I've been at this for 5 years) become part of me.

2. Avatar
    Angel
    January 4, 2013 / 4:17 pm

My word for this year is patience, with myself and others

3. Avatar
    Diana Bukowski
    January 4, 2013 / 4:44 pm

SHINE is an AWESOME word. I belong to a group of unschoolers and Shine is *our* word, we let our children Shine, we do everything to help them find their Shine, and share their Shine & passions with them…

I actually just wrote about my own word of the year: DARE http://bunnykissd.blogspot.com/2013/01/my-word-of-year.html

4. Avatar January 4, 2013 / 7:51 pm

For me this year, "shine" means not – procrastinate.
    My word is "DO". I have to be overactive in order to survive in this Italy in disarray! : D

5. Avatar
    Laurie
    January 5, 2013 / 3:47 am

Yes, Dominee! YOU are such a bright light and SHINE is the perfect word for you to glow and grow in for 2013! Blessings and thank you for all of your honest, encouraging sharing! ~xo~

6. Avatar
    Laurie
    January 5, 2013 / 3:49 am

and ooops, forgot to add that my word for 2013 is TEND.

7. Avatar
    Sibylle
    January 5, 2013 / 12:14 pm

Oh my gods DOES it ever happen! I'm not even shy – I'm fairly outgoing actually – but I'm still scared witless of my own capability and success. I've got the "who am I to…" firmly ingrained in my DNA, but I'm not buying it anymore and am working on changing the message to "who am I NOT to??"
    Here's to a wonderful 2013! :-D

8. Avatar
    Arwen
    January 5, 2013 / 8:45 pm

ACan't reveal my word of the year yet. It's still cooking. Once it's set, I'll shout it to the world. :D I love that you recognize that it is a learning process. Stay gentle with yourself.

9. Avatar February 10, 2013 / 3:08 am

I totally get what you're saying about being afraid of your own brilliance. In that boat right now. Terrified of it. Want to get my business out there, but I am deathly afraid of being judged, and people thinking that I'm terrible, getting seriously criticized for starting it up, even laughed out of business at my worst snowball thought process. I get where you are coming from for sure!